Did you think that your Wisdom Teeth can Cause Dental Problems?
After losing milk teeth at the age of 6, permanent teeth get room to develop and grow. The last permanent teeth to develop are wisdom teeth, and they are usually the third and final set of molars. However, sometimes wisdom teeth fail to grow as they are known for causing dental problems. When these teeth misbehave, they become misaligned, and they require to be pulled out to prevent them from destroying other teeth. If you are suffering from misaligned wisdom teeth, consult with specialists who know about wisdom teeth in Huntington Beach.
How to know that your wisdom teeth are developing
Wisdom teeth develop when you are in your late or early 20s. During this age, you can visit your dentist for check-ups. Your dentist will take an X-ray to evaluate the presence and the alignment of your wisdom teeth. The x-ray generates a picture that clearly shows all your teeth and their position. If your wisdom teeth are misaligned, your doctor will take you to the surgeon for extraction. You and your surgeon will schedule the appropriate day for extraction. The extraction can be done in your doctor’s office or the main hospital. The below paragraph explains what happens after wisdom teeth are extracted.
What to expect after wisdom teeth are removed
After oral examination and further check-ups, your surgeon performs local anesthesia to ensure you are comfortable. The misaligned wisdom teeth are removed within 45 minutes or less, depending on the number and complexity of the teeth. After extraction, there are many things you should expect during recovery. They include:
- Swelling around the chin. Many people suffer from swelling after tooth extractions. Swelling occurs when the gum and the surrounding tissues are disturbed during extraction. Studies show that swelling can disappear after some time, but you can use an ice pack to manage it.
- Bleeding. Bleeding happens to every person undergoing tooth extraction. However, individuals with bleeding problems can suffer excessive bleeding. To control bleeding, place clean cotton on the area of treatment. Bite down for a maximum of 45 minutes, and the bleeding will stop. Specialists recommend that you avoid sucking the area of extraction since it can bring back bleeding.
- Pain. Pain occurs a few hours after wisdom teeth extraction. Your doctor will provide you with medicine to relieve pain. Drugs like ibuprofen and acetaminophen may be prescribed.
- Foods. After extraction, it can be difficult to chew food. Your doctor may recommend a liquid diet for a few days until the wound heals. On the other hand, you should avoid smoking and alcohol to prevent infections.
- Brush your teeth. Brush your teeth and make sure not to touch the area of extraction.
According to statistics, about 5 million people undergo wisdom teeth extraction every year. Additionally, most people suffer from severe complications due to a lack of selection of a qualified dentist. If you need a wisdom teeth check-up and extraction, visit Orange Coast Dental Specialty center since it has the best dental surgeons.