MySQL Migration Toolkit
For many years MySQL is known as one of the most popular relational database management systems due to its valuable benefits such as tight integration with web, flexibility of open-source software, on-demand scalability and others. This is the reason why many organizations are willing to migrate their databases from proprietor DBMS with high cost of ownership to MySQL.
Database migration is quite complicated process demanding a lot of time and resources. Fortunately, some software companies provide dedicated tools and solutions to automate database migration. One of those solution is MySQL Migration Toolkit developed by Intelligent Converters, software vendor specializing in database migration since 2001.
MySQL Migration Toolkit is a software pack containing tools to migrate databases from SQL Server, PostgreSQL, Oracle, MS Access, FoxPro, IBM DB2, SQLite, Firebird to MySQL and backward.
The product uses low level API and does not use any middleware to reach the best performance of reading and writing data that is about 20000 rows per second on an average modern hardware. Each tool included in the toolkit supports command line to script and schedule the database migration. Also, there is option to store conversion settings into profile that makes next running of the tool even more comfortable.
To get even more flexibility and control over the database migration MySQL Migration Toolkit provides optionof exporting the source database into a local MySQL script file besides direct transfer to MySQL server. The script file contains SQL statements to create all tables, indexes, constraints and to insert the data. This method can be used when the target MySQL server does not allow remote connection. The workaround for those cases is to transfer the resulting script file to MySQL server via FTP and then toload it into MySQL database locally using the standard administration tools like phpMyAdmin.
Key capabilities of MySQL Migration Toolkit:
- all versions of MySQL are supported including such forks as MariaDB and Percona and SAAS platforms
- table definitions,data, indexes, constraints and most views are converted
- option to specify table type/engine (ISAM, MyISAM, HEAP, InnoDB or BDB) and character set when migrating to MySQL
- ‘edit table’ feature allows to modify name, type, default value and NULL-attribute for any column of the destination table
- option to merge and synchronize tables of the destination database with the data source
- full Unicode support
- easy-to-use wizard-style interface and comprehensive documentation
Limitations of the product:
- views with syntax patterns having no direct equivalent in the target DBMS may not be converted properly
- stored procedures, functions and triggers are not supported
- free trial version migrates not more than fifty rows per table and does not convert foreign keys
More information about the product is available on official vendor site.