Hypothyroid- Know the Major Causes to Avoid It From Occurrence
Hypothyroidism is a condition in which the gland does not produce enough hormones, which are crucial for the proper functioning of the human body. You might not be able to understand its early symptoms; however, with the passage of time, the symptoms start to occur with the number of health problems such as obesity, infertility, heart disorders, and infertility. It is important to get thyroid testing in Beverly Hills done to diagnose the problem. Moreover, you should know the causes for getting this medical condition so that you can take preventive measures in advance.
Signs and Symptoms of Thyroid
These symptoms may vary from person to person. Depending on the deficiency of the hormone, the health problems start to occur and may become noticeable after a few years. Some of the signs are elaborated below:
- Dry skin
- Weight gain
- Slowed heart rate
- Muscle aches
- Sensitivity to cold
- Thinning of hair
- Increase cholesterol levels
Causes of Hypothyroid
The causes of this medical condition are elaborated as below:
- Over-response to the condition- Some people produce too much hormone and as a result, it should be treated with radiation and radioactive iodine. Instead of getting back to normal conditions, the hormone starts to lower which gives rise to hypothyroid.
- Autoimmune disease- In this condition, your immune system attacks your own tissues and thyroid gland. The reason for this disease is not known and scientists can only take environmental factors and genes into account.
- Surgery- If your thyroid gland has been operated upon, the half portion of it diminishes as a result of which the production of the thyroid is reduced. In such a case, you will be required to take thyroid medicine for a lifetime.
- Medications- It is surprising that some of the medicines also affect the levels of the thyroid in your body. By taking some of the anti-depressants, the thyroid levels are affected. It is suggested to discuss these problems with your doctor before taking any medicine.
- Radiation therapy- In order to treat cancer, neck, and head-related problems; radiation therapy is given to the patient, which may affect the thyroid gland.
- Pregnancy- It is one of the reasons for hypothyroidism in a female. However, it gets back to normal after the pregnancy is over.
This condition can be controlled with proper diet, lifestyle, and medications.